so right now we have a lot of opptional schools that i'm signing up to in the hope that one of them will accept me. there are three main option but that doesn't mean anything!
with all these applications, come a lot of assignments. put aside the fact that we're about three months late handing it in (the forms were due Jan), so we have to do everything SuperSpeed, and i' had to write about four essays each and(!) answer a batch of questions - ughh
i'm enclosing this one essay that i did like . the restriction was 5000 words and most of the time i just hoped i'd reach that maximum characters, and really talk nonsense, but here i really had to shorten in!
!@$#@%#$%
one of many "final" copies.
!Good Luck
Describe a Project or Area of Study that has been Challenging to you and
Explain how you Grew From It
By Avigail Gilad
Moving
to a new house is never easy, let alone if that house is in a different
country. The project I have decided to write about is much more dominant and
personal than any other academic project that I have had to deal with in the
past. This lifelong project has enabled me to grow and mature more than any
other
regular project would have.
My
whole life has been one big move, settling down for a couple of years and
moving on again. Even though I'm an Israeli citizen, I have spent only half my
life living in Israel. These changes are challenging in a few ways-academically,
to learn the language, to become acclaimed, to pack our home and to meet new
friends. I am already used to all of these and consider it an advantage and a
chance to grow. I wouldn't have been able to do any of this, however, without
my parents who have helped me every step of the way
and still continue to
support me in every way they can.
My
first challenge was at the age of one, when my family moved for the first time.
I don't remember much from our reassignment in Jordan as I was very small, but
today I understand it was not so easy.
In
addition to the "regular" challenges of moving, there was always an
issue concerning the Arab-Israeli conflict. In general the relationship was
smooth, but like always there were individuals that were more problematic. I
learned in a Jordanian preschool, mixed with Jordanians and Israelis. With time
there was a growing tension concerning the Israeli children.
At
some point, the Israeli children moved out of the preschool and no other
establishment would accept them. As a result, an Israeli nanny was brought to
Jordan and an Israeli preschool was organized in the Embassy. Following a short
amount of time, all the diplomats' families were vacated back to Israel due to
safety reasons. The date of our deportation was scheduled exactly on my 4th birthday
and my preplanned party had to take place on a military plane instead. As a
child, I remember this as one of my most dominant birthday parties.
On
the other hand, it was the start of an era of peace with Jordan and a lot of
Israelis like my family took advantage of this in order to explore attractions
such as Petra and the Jordanian bank of the Dead Sea. On top of that, this was the first time I was
exposed to an International community and to the interesting Arab culture.
The
second challenge was my first year back in Israel which was filled with
difficulties. My dad had remained in Jordan due to work, and as a child I
remember living with my mum and waiting for my dad to visit every weekend. In
order to soften the blow of moving, I joined my cousin's kindergarten to enable
a better start- I at least knew one person. Quickly enough I was settled
in and I loved my kindergarten.
Next
was London, where I started learning in first grade.
Moving
to London was more challenging that moving to Jordan. The biggest issue and
difficulty of moving for me was learning the language. In order to overcome the
challenge, I continued learning English in special classes at school, called
EAL- English as another language. I went to an international school, therefore
they had a well organized program which was intended to assist all the new kids
from around the world learn English.
Furthermore,
I used to read English books to enrich my vocabulary and I had other Hebrew
speaking friends in my class that would translate for me. During the first
year, they were my only friends, but by Second Grade I already could speak
English fluently and I could communicate with the rest of my class.
The
following three years were amazing; I became close to the English culture by
learning horseback riding, watching Shakespeare theatre, being a member of the
British Museum and travelling around the country. I started my violin addiction
and became connected to the general world of classical music and concerts. I
came back with the customs of drinking tea. I gained an incredible amount from
this experience ranging from a more confident personality to a deeper
sensitivity to different cultures.
Our
next stop is Chicago but now I'm older, more mature and have a stronger sense
of self. The hardships I have dealt with have enabled me to become more
adaptable and more ready to welcome new beginnings. I have learned to give to
and take from my surroundings in the utmost positive way. I have been able to
grow from all these relocations by help from others and looking on the bright
side. I look at these challenges as a chance to meet new people and build
relationships. I now have friends from all around the globe, and I'm definitely
looking forward to a fresh start in Chicago.
אין תגובות:
הוסף רשומת תגובה